Friday, March 10, 2017

"Davide is pumped. The bus driver is texting. The bus doors are possessed. And I just want chocolate salami." -Sorella Rindlisbacher

There is a gelateria (Delizia) dangerously close to our apartment and
we may or may not have gone there everyday last week... The owner's
name is Augustin and we are his regulars :) He'll be closing up shop,
but when he sees us, he stops everything and gets us Gelato and then
continues closing up. I'd say we have a pretty good relationship. In
fact, Saturday night we brought him cookies in exchange for our
Gelato. Tuesday night, we brought him the Restoration pamphlet and he
talked about how much he hated the Catholic Church. Next time:
Restoration discussion.

A friend gave us these sponges of soy (looks like giant fish food
pebbles). The directions were to soak them in water for an hour and
then put whatever seasoning we want on it... I soaked them and then
tried it and it literally tasted like big, soggy fish food and I threw
them up.

My companion and I are the same person. Like no joke. We say the same
things at the same time and we both have all the same favorite things.
We have southern hearts. We prefer cone over cup for Gelato. We are
the only daughter to serve a mission. Our first pet was a yellow lab.
Okay, I'm sure you're probably thinking that these are just
coincidences, but we've started making a list of all the things we
have in common and it's ridiculously long now. I'm not even surprised
anymore at everything we have in common. Your dad's family has a
history of high blood pressure and high cholesterol? So does mine.
Your mom forgets where she hides Christmas presents? Same. You started
liking running in college, but now you hate it? Doesn't surprise me.
Okay I could go on and on about all the things we have in common but
then I might freak you out so I'll leave it with this. More updates
will come in later emails.

Sunday night was one of the weirdest nights of my mission. We went to
a friend's church and I thought I was at a concert the whole time. I
also never knew when we were praying, but suddenly everyone's eyes
were closed and they were whispering things so then I'd close my eyes.
But the whole time, the guitarist was playing and then he start
singing randomly... Idk it was fun, but it definitely didn't feel like
church. It was like a small concert. Then we had to run to catch the
bus... Missed it twice. After 20 minutes of waiting and wandering, we
got on a bus and the bus driver was texting the entire time and then
the bus doors opened randomly and the driver couldn't get them to
shut. He was so done with the doors when they opened back up the 4th
time. Lol. But yeah, the entire time we were just craving chocolate
salami. (Italian dessert. Not actually salami. Just chocolate)

We have District meeting (a meeting with all the missionaries in the
area to discuss how the work is going) every Tuesday morning and let
me just tell y'all. There's never a dull moment... We always end up
each telling stories and these people are the most interesting story
tellers I've ever met. Harris: never finishes the story. Beaujeu: no
comment. Kiwi: has so many hand movements. Odeh: leaves out all
details. Rindlisbacher: laughs hysterically when she's scared. What in
the heck. I love them though.

We had Sorella Miele come to the lesson with Silvana again and y'all,
she never looks at the road when she drives and it scares me. Also, I
don't think she knows how to use the blinkers, so she throws on the
emergency lights every roundabout. Help. BUT we always get Gelato
afterwards, because we've made it through a car ride with her :)
Unfortunately, I had to pay last night because Matteo (Silvana's
husband) didn't come out and dance in the middle of the lesson. (My
companion and I make bets every Tuesday)

We went and visited our Italian grandparents again and they are just
as cute and sweet as ever :) We shared the Plan of Salvation with them
and they were super happy because they lost their son 3 years ago and
they kept telling us that they feel so much peace and serenity when
we're in their home. I love them.

I love being a missionary and serving the Lord here in Italy. I love
this city and these people too much. I feel like this is the only life
I know... In fact, I had a dream last week that I was home and I had
to go to the grocery store by myself and I woke up in a sweat.
Needless to say, I am not ready to go home or be alone. From mission
comp to eternal comp real quick.

Love y'all,
Sorella Meager

"We must remember how much our Heavenly Father and His Son love us.
They will neither abandon us, nor will They allow us to be overcome if
we seek Their help."

No comments:

Post a Comment